[D-community-offtopic] A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

AP worldwithoutfences at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 02:45:42 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 1:20 AM, Linux-Fan <Ma_Sys.ma at web.de> wrote:

> 1. Many people will read your mail long after it was sent when the
>    content has already become meaningless.
> 2. Mailing lists are archived and the archives are intended to help
>    people who stumble across the same issue later. A thread which is
>    needlessly extended by messages without important content might make
>    it harder to follow the thread to find the solution especially when
>    it is not marked by a "[solved]" or a final summary.
> 3. Mails are heavier than IRC statements (full headers, signatures,
>    and quotes from the previous thread are included). This means that it
>    will cost people who log in after a "conversation" on a mailing list
>    has taken place will have to download a lot of messages of similar
>    sizes to those which contain real information. Posting a simple "OK"
>    costs about as much bandwidth (if you quote properly) as a normal
>    answer (like this message).
> 4. I am sure there are more reasons which I can just not think of now.
>    GIYF.

> On the other hand, I do not mind anyone posting non-technical messages
> to this offtopic list because that is it's intention.

First of all, thanks for this explanation. Secondly I just thought
that it is our life...and I just hoped to confabulate non-technical
also...you probably are right that chat clients are suited for that
purpose. IOW, these list discuss much of the technical aspects
only...But its okay....

I am glad to hear from you "I do not mind anyone posting non-technical
messages to this offtopic list because that is it's intention.".