[D-community-offtopic] Maximum RAM

Andrei POPESCU andreimpopescu at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 18:54:53 UTC 2013

On Vi, 13 dec 13, 14:25:39, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-12-13 at 10:27 +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Jo, 12 dec 13, 09:56:29, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > >
> > > Rumours about disadvantages or are there real drawbacks for some use
> > > cases?
> > >
> > > The Windows crew? I love Linux, but want to run Windows VSTs and
> > > something like this?
> > >
> > > I've got doubts that there are valid reasons to prefer 32-bit over
> > > 64-bit in 2013/2014, assumed the hardware does allow 64-bit.
> >
> > And who determines the validity of my reasons? :p
>
> I'm asking, you don't mention your reasons.

Well, your wording seems to imply you have already made up your mind, so
why should I bother trying to change it?

> You might have noticed that
> I'm going to install 32-bit Debian stable, to see if there should be
> advantages.

Maybe you mentioned it on another list, alioth lists are alphabetically
first in my folder list ;)

My reasons currently are:

skype -- I had some problems with multiarch, probably due to the fact
that I'm running unstable.

crossgrading -- I plan to "sacrifice" this install at the earliest
opportunity to test a crossgrade to amd64. Depending on the outcome I
might choose to keep it or reinstall amd64.

similar performance -- there is no perceivable loss of performance

I am however running an amd64 kernel, because I assume it is optimised
for my CPU (no, I didn't feel any difference). The only problems
encountered so far were with VirtuaBox, but I don't use it much and I
could install the -686 kernel if needed.

Kind regards,
Andrei