[D-community-offtopic] [OT] users and computers [was: Re: Customized Debian - Was: ...]

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 16:50:51 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 22 January 2013 4:55:53 am Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> Bah, my own colleagues are overwriting formulas with values and then
> wonder why the sheet doesn't work anymore.
>
> [1] this is only half joke, I've actually seen it several times.

Sounds like an opportunity ;-)

Maybe spreadsheets need a warning mechanism that warns the user when he is
about overwrite a formula with a value, tells him that doing so will probably
prevent the spreadsheet from working properly in the future, tells him there
is a more appropriate way to make the change he wants to do (ideally, telling
him where to make such a change ;-), and finally, forcing him to confirm he
really wants to do that.

Or some selection of above, but for naive users, I'd suggest all of the above.

I haven't used a spreadsheet to any significant extent in a very long
time--maybe some spreadsheets already do that.  If not...

Randy Kramer