[D-community-offtopic] Technology doesn't necessarily make you smarter

john jon.jrs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 14:43:18 UTC 2013

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 01:16:59 +1300
Chris Bannister <cbannister at slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

=Hi,
=
=A cowboy named Bud was overseeing his herd in a remote mountainous
=pasture in Alberta when suddenly a brand-new BMW advanced toward him
out =of a cloud of dust.
=The driver, a young man in a Brioni suit, Gucci shoes, RayBan
sunglasses =and YSL tie, leaned out the window and asked the cowboy,
"If I tell you =exactly how many cows and calves you have in your herd,
Will you give me =a calf?"
=Bud looks at the man, obviously a yuppie, then looks at his peacefully
=grazing herd and calmly answers, "Sure, Why not?"
=The yuppie parks his car, whips out his Dell notebook computer,
connects =it to his Cingular RAZR V3 cell phone, and surfs to a NASA
page on the =Internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite to get an
exact fix on his =location which he then feeds to another NASA
satellite that scans the =area in an ultra-high-resolution photo.
=The young man then opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop and
=exports it to an image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany.
=Within seconds, he receives an email on his Palm Pilot that the image
=has been processed and the data stored. He then accesses an MS-SQL
=database through an ODBC connected Excel spreadsheet with email on his
=Blackberry and, after a few minutes, receives a response.
=Finally, he prints out a full-color, 150-page report on his hi-tech,
=miniaturized HP LaserJet printer, turns to the cowboy and says, "You
=have exactly 1,586 cows and calves."
="That's right. Well, I guess you can take one of my calves," says Bud.
=He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on with
=amusement as the young man stuffs it into the trunk of his car.
=Then Bud says to the young man, "Hey, if I can tell you exactly what
=your business is, will you give me back my calf?"
=The young man thinks about it for a second and then says, "Okay, why
=not?"
="You're a Member of Parliament for the Canadian Government", says Bud.
="Wow! That's correct," says the yuppie, "but how did you guess that?"
="No guessing required." answered the cowboy. "You showed up here even
=though nobody called you; you want to get paid for an answer I already
=knew, to a question I never asked. You used millions of dollars worth
of =equipment trying to show me how much smarter than me you are; and
you =don't know a thing about how working people make a living - or
about =cows, for that matter.
=
=This is a herd of sheep... now give me back my dog.

At last! A post I can fully understand.

John