[D-community-offtopic] How can I backup a Win XP by the same script I use to backup my Linux?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed May 15 08:08:13 UTC 2013

Hi :)

to test hardware that does cause issues on my Linux, I decided to
install a Windows, to ensure that the hardware isn't broken, since it's
still within the warranty period.

FWIW it's a RME HDSPe AIO sound card and the abilities and the sound
quality are amazing when using Windows, I just made a short test, but
the card already is a complete other, much better card with Windows.
It's not only that there are more features, but also the sound quality
and latency is better.

I don't switch to Windows, I need Linux software, that isn't available
for Windows and I've got issues to handle Windows, but I'll collect as
much information as possible, to find out what's different on Windows.
Since it's a PITA to set up the Windows I need, I'll make backups of it,
when I backup my Linux.

SOURCE Windows XP Home Crap Edition
===================================

# fdisk /dev/sdb -l | grep -i ntfs
/dev/sdb1   *          63    42971039    21485488+   7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

# cfdisk /dev/sdb
cfdisk (util-linux 2.23)

                                              Disk Drive: /dev/sdb
                                       Size: 500107862016 bytes, 500.1 GB
                              Heads: 255   Sectors per Track: 63   Cylinders: 60801

     Name             Flags           Part Type      FS Type                 [Label]              Size (MB)
     sdb1             Boot             Primary       ntfs                    [xp]                  22001.18     *
                                       Pri/Log       Free Space                                        1.49     *
     sdb5             NC               Logical       [snip]

I don't know why there is unusable "Free space". Part of XP?

TARGET backup partition
=======================

# fdisk /dev/sdc -l | grep sdc2
/dev/sdc2       132841472   268711935    67935232   83  Linux

Does

# dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/dev/sdc2

do a backup, I can restore with

# dd if=/dev/sdc2 of=/dev/sdb1

?

bs and count? MBRs already will be copied by the script that does copy
my Linux.

Regards,
Ralf