[D-community-offtopic] Building computer - power supplies

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Sep 28 07:26:31 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-09-28 at 09:10 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-09-28 at 00:34 -0400, staticsafe wrote:
> > >
> > > And sometimes vendors knowingly use undersized capacitors, so that they
> > > will get burned a while after the period of warranty ended. This is a
> > > known issue by German consumer centers. I experienced it for the PSU of
> > > a Behringer mixing console. I was an engineer and can repair it myself,
> > > or assumed I shouldn't have the needed equipment at home, a friend still
> > > is working as engineer for a company and can help me. For this
> > > particular PSU it was easier to do by hot air soldering. Sure, without
> > > hot air the soldering isn't impossible, but already hard to do for
> > > experienced engineers and perhaps impossible for averaged people.
> > > Vendors design things to get broken after warranty period ended and they
> > > also try to make things irreparable.
> > >

> > Yay for planned obsolescence [0]!
> >
> > [0] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence
>
> Thank you for posting the link to the wiki.

PS:

FWIW I tried to repair it using a soldering iron at home, the friend
tried it using a professional _unsolder_ iron station at home and it
ended that the friend repaired it at work, using hot air soldering.
The board is from good quality, but anyway, repairing it at home is hard
to do, even with a professional _unsolder_ iron station. Hobby engineers
likely will damage the board, when they try to replace the borked
capacitors.