[D-community-offtopic] Building computer - power supplies

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Sep 28 13:02:05 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-09-29 at 00:35 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 09:26:31AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > FWIW I tried to repair it using a soldering iron at home, the friend
> > tried it using a professional _unsolder_ iron station at home and it
> > ended that the friend repaired it at work, using hot air soldering.
> > The board is from good quality, but anyway, repairing it at home is hard
> > to do, even with a professional _unsolder_ iron station. Hobby engineers
> > likely will damage the board, when they try to replace the borked
> > capacitors.
>
> Huh? Just recently changed a power supply capacitor really easily using
> a cheap soldering iron + solder sucker.

But not for a Behringer Eurorack UB2442FX-Pro with a PSU of the same
revision as is mounted in my mixer. I'm experienced in soldering, I
soldered Brauner microphones, top studio gear, not to mention that I
started soldering as a child and soldered for many professional audio
and video studios and when I needed to replace the capacitor I already
was a few years older than 40, so a little bit experienced. Today I'm
not that good when soldering, because I need reading glasses and I can't
pay for special glasses need for soldering, but this has nothing to do
with the unsolder issue. The friend does solder several hours each day
for perhaps the last 30 years. At home he has got a professional Weller
unsolder station similar to this model
http://www.duerstag.ch/images/Entloetstation%20Weller.jpg
and he decided not to continue using it for this PSU, but to use hot air
soldering at work instead.