issue with latest jessie upgrade

Chris Bannister cbannister at slingshot.co.nz
Mon Dec 22 09:11:08 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 07:51:04AM +0100, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> Although systemd is coming to Debian, currently one gets to choose and
> until now I have chosen the old tried and true init.
> I recently bought new kit and loaded Debian Jessie without specifying
> which init system I wanted and so am now using systemd.  So far, no
> worries.  Even though I dislike its 'one-size-fits-all philosophy, I
> think  it might do wonders for Linux in the long run.

I just upgraded my jessie system yesterday, besides having trouble with
apt moaning about https is not a valid transport and asking if
apt-transport-https was installed (which it wasn't). I couldn't install
it because apt then complained about jessie not being a default release,
WTF! That may have been caused by this line:

deb http://repo.tox.im/deb/ testing main

in the file:

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/toxrepo.list

which I've commented out, but only after I ...

# cp /usr/lib/apt/methods/http /usr/lib/apt/methods/https

then apt-get update worked! \o/
(That's when I also got complaints about the 'http://repo.tox.im/deb/'
repo.)
I then 'rm /usr/lib/apt/methods/https' followed by
'apt-get install apt-transport-https'

(I also commented out 'APT::Default-Release "jessie";' in the file
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/90local I *think* before the apt-get update)

Then I apt-get upgrade, which took a while, BUT after all that my gpm
console mouse was no longer working BUT a simple

'/etc/init.d/gpm' stop followed by  '/etc/init.d/gpm start'

got it going again. PHEW!!

I searched the web looking for any stuff regarding apt-transport-https
needing to be installed, nothing recently, and no posts on debian-user,
so whether anyone who struck it just did what I did or whether it was
the http://repo.tox.im/deb/ repo casuing it,I don't know.

Don't know whether to post this to debian-user, or just carry on as
thought nothing has happened.  <whistle innocently> :)

I initially thought changes had been made to the apt behaviour which
caused all this, but seeing nothing on the web or on debian-user made me
doubt that was the case.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X