[D-community-offtopic] FW: [CTTE #727708] Default init system for Debian - Was: NSA into Debian distribution!

Chris Bannister cbannister at slingshot.co.nz
Thu Feb 13 03:40:31 UTC 2014

[latinfo, are you subscribed to this list? If so we could stop CC'ing
you]

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 03:50:33AM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-02-12 at 17:55 -0800, latinfo at vcn.bc.ca wrote:
> > Normally in Debian, users have a choice. It is why i am asking if some
> > things have changed in Debian.
>
> Regarding to this nothing changed, you are free to become a packager and
> to provide an alternative to systemd, by also maintaining all the
> alternative packages, that might be needed, assumed there should be
> conflicts for some packages, by your systemd alternative.

On the one hand it has been stated that systemd is only going to be the
default init system and you are free to install which one you want
whereas OTOH¹ there are developers who state that it will be too much
work to package init scripts for every init system that Debian
"supports"

¹ Means "On The Other hand" could get confusing if it is taken to mean
"On The One hand" :)

oppressing." --- Malcolm X