[Bulk] Re: News about systemd

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jun 8 09:04:01 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-06-08 at 11:50 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Sb, 07 iun 14, 14:17:01, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2014-June/036488.html
> > https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2014-June/036489.html
> > https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2014-June/036490.html
> >
> > I guess it's not a bug, it's a policy. The policy to force users to go
> > the systemd girls and boys way or not to use Linux anymore. What next?
>
> Sorry, but you have no sympathy from me. As far as I'm concerned local
> time as reference time should die a painful death.
>
> I'm probably also influenced by the fact that I work for an airline and
> we use UTC a lot. Just imagine how aircraft movement messages in local
> time would work.
>
> Also, if you are going to run some custom stuff at least make sure you
> keep it up to date with latest practices. ntpdate has been deprecated
> for quite some time now.

The superblock isn't the issue, ntpdate does set up the clock as good as
ntpd does, the clock and localtime just cause the warning, but fsck is
forced nowadays. Perhaps it's caused by something else, since
downgrading systemd didn't solve it.

IOW the issue is that fsck is forced to check / with each startup,
perhaps not related to systemd. But related to systemd is, that the
stable release from upstream needs a patch. Without the patch the stable
release from upstream does not boot your install anymore. You need to
comment out all entries in fstab, only the / entry is allowed.

I never experienced such an issue in 11 years using sysvinit and by
using upstart since it was introduced. This annoyances are new and
systemd related.