Ban me

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Mon Jun 16 02:39:54 UTC 2014

On 6/16/14, Sadiq Saif <lists at sadiqs.com> wrote:
> On 6/15/2014 16:12, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Have you ever harvested and dried a datura?
>> Have you ever cared about the bottom of the datura?
>>
>> If you dry it, it will open like an egg in the movie "Alien". Some of us
>> where artists before that movie became a cult.
>>
>> The bottom of the datura is a pentagram. It isn't something magically,
>> it simply is nature.
>>
>> I dislike the approach of some Linux users, that Linux should beyond
>> nature.
>
> Context? Is this in reference to some particular thread?

The whole shebang, Sadiq, the whole shebang.

The Debian "community" is in the middle of a sea-change. It is a
parallel to the degradation of humans through statute law - the more
we "depend" on statutes, the more we are bound by things artificial,
not natural (in general, at least wrt statute laws), and the further
away from common sense and our own conscience have we become.

So Debian now has a statute law, the Debian Code Of Conduct (COC)
which has parts in such general terms as to be severely problematic.

Petty dictators (in the guise of supposedly "benevolent" list
moderators) can waltz in on a dime and tell you "this word was wrong"
"that sentence is bad" and "you violated the COC", yet context can be
ignored, and details don't really matter.

In addition, we the "users" have no franchise - no vote. We have no
say in the COC, nor in how it is executed over our heads.

Some "users" even believe that this SHOULD be The Way Things Should Be
(TM) (C) (R) - as in, we SHOULD have NO say in how "our" lists are
run.

Degredation of common sense, I say.

So Ralph gave a nice allegory or analogy. It is very apt. But you must
see the problem to understand his picture.

Be well,
Zenaan