Entangled monolith? [was: Re: GR proposed re: choice of init systems]

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 12:35:17 UTC 2014

2014/10/28 4:51 "Andrei POPESCU" <andreimpopescu at gmail.com>:

> On Vi, 24 oct 14, 22:59:11, Joel Rees wrote:
> >
> > Are you interested in learning programming?
>
> I've had some classes about basics of programing (using BASIC as
> example) and I even started going through some Python tutorial once, but
> never got too far. I guess I don't want it badly enough at the moment ;)

Why those two?

Python is just BASIC done right. Plus an interesting idea about using
whitespace instead of brace symbols to open and close blocks, which
could be said to be part of doing BASIC right.

You like REs, so perl might be interesting. But the syntax is not awk
or sed syntax, so maybe not.

Haskell might feel comfortable, since it's declarative/functional
instead of imperative/procedural.

I personally like FORTH, but it is definitely an acquired taste, so I
won't recommend it to you . LISP, on the other hand, other than the
standardization problem, may be just what you're looking for.

I've noticed that the languages people consider themselves most
comfortable with tend to be congruent with certain aspects about their
points of view on the world around them. Neither something to
criticize nor something to praise, but something that ends up also
coloring the conversations I have with them. Being acquainted with a
lot of languages is a useful thing.

--
Joel Rees