Re: OT: Our clothing kills - [Fwd: Unsere Kleidung ist tödlich]

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 21:15:24 UTC 2015

On 02/22/2015 03:02 PM, Reco wrote:
>   Hi.
>
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 07:15:57 +1300
> Chris Bannister <cbannister at slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 05:17:24PM +0300, Reco wrote:
>>>   Hi.

>>> And that lead to that story that caused Aaron Swartz to commit suicide,
>>> isn't it? That's hardly a fine example of 'smart activism' thing,
>>> considering the outcome IMO.
>>
>> You can't control what actions another person decides to take.
>
> I'm not sure I understand your statement.
> I as a current self - of course I don't control any actions of anyone.
> But things such as neuro-linguistic programming or plain old
> blackmailing clearly show that such control is possible, at least to
> some degree.
>

>>> It's a good example of 'usual activism', though. Activist is risking
>>> everything, possibly including reputation and (in this case) - own life.
>>
>> That would be an extreme case, in my view.
>
> Why? Greenpeace activists fit this scenario perfectly.
> Protests against nuclear plants do the same.
> To recall most recent such scenario - Euromaidan.
>
> I'm not saying it's a good thing (nor I'm saying that it's a normal
> thing), but I cannot consider it extreme too. It happens way too often.

Just look at our out-of-control "Get Tough On Crime" effort. A LOT of
people were made afraid of marauding INSANE criminals who used to be
securely hospitalized in the past, until the same politicians closed the
state mental health centers, sold off the land and buildings, and left
the severely mentally challenged to wander free, while not mentally
free, with predictable results.

Then Law Enforcement had to man-up with body armor, big guns, armored
troop carriers, etc. in response to someone severely mentally ill who
can open fire in a school or movie theater. THEN the electorate laid
down, and accepted the notion that increased personal security
outweighed national Civil Liberty. Tell me fear doesn't work. :/ Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html