Happy New Year! Was: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

Unknown Crewman unknown.crewman at rocketship.com
Sat Jan 3 23:13:45 UTC 2015

On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 14:50:32 -0500, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/03/2015 09:16 AM, Unknown Crewman wrote:
> > There was a time when systemd checked some partitions with each
> > startup ;), again and again and again and ... :D.
>
> So did UNIX, with 250 pound drives. I had 4 of those in my Unisys
> 5000/90 toy-to-play-with mini-mainframe. They fsck'd endlessly. Then
> the tape drives had to sync. I loved watching them whirr about. It
> was one heckuva toy! :) Ric

And nowadays we have drives in our home computers that exceeded the borderline to 2 TiB. Until now all my drives are around <= 1.8 TiB, since I like to use MBR ;). The really good and really sane style to check partitions every now and again nowadays could be a PITA, nowadays we need another control mechanism to check our drives. Nowadays a single partition easily could be as large as more than 250 HDDs were a few years ago.
I suspect your 68xxx family computers from the 90s used drives with less capacity than a home computer used 10 years ago. JFTR my 68xxx based computer has got a SCSI HDD that is around 40 MiB. It isn't a Sperry Unisys 5000, just an Atari ST :). I still own it, since it isn't as large as a refrigerator. I know the Sperry Unisys refrigerator ("heaters" might be a better analogy) only from photos.

Regards,
Ralf