Help using this system

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sat Jul 25 00:31:00 UTC 2015

Do NOT use debian-project list for personal help requests. People will
get upset.

Use debian-user at ... list instead.

I will answer your questions below:

On 7/24/15, Charles M. DayIII <themississippian at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am an Emergency Management student. I am in my Doctoral program at
> Grand Canyon University. I have had a laptop loaded with just Debian
> Linux so I can train myself to use Linux. I need to set up this laptop
> to run the GCU systems. The Readers they use are Adobe readers and the
> college does not support the Linux system. I need to use Linux to learn
> it. The more I use it the better I am at it. Please help me set this
> laptop up right. I also can't view movies on Hulu or Netflix I need a
> program that is updated to view these programs. Because some of my
> assignment have been to view a movie. To date I have had to view only
> one but that dose not preclude the fact I may have to view some more. I
> need help. Thank you Charles Day, " themississippian at hotmail.com

Open a terminal (console/command prompt) and run the following:
# first become root user like so, enter password as necessary:
sudo su -
# install a GUI package manager in case it's not yet:
aptitude install synaptic
# if that doesn't work, try this:
apt-get install synaptic

# next, log out of root user:
logout
# and run synaptic (it should also be in the GUI menu system somewhere):
synaptic

Now search for the packages you are interested in, eg search for the
term "gcu", select your packages, then click the install button.

If things don't work, you'll need more help, and to be specific about
the error/ problem you face.

Good luck,
Zenaan