mtools

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sun Jun 14 13:26:48 UTC 2015

On 6/14/15, Ralf <unknown.crewman at rocketship.com> wrote:
> by chance I noticed a file  /usr/bin/tgz  .
> In $HOME I run  $ tgz --help  and a file was generated named
> --help.tgz  .

$ man tgz
TGZ(1)                            Mtools Users Manual
          TGZ(1)
NAME
       tgz - makes a gzip'd tar archive
SYNOPSIS
       tgz [ destination [ source ...  ] ]
DESCRIPTION
       Make a gzip'd tar archive with the name of the first parameter
out of specified
       files or, if no source files are specified, from everything in
the current
       directory.  If the first parameter is omitted as well, the
archive will be
       written to stdout.
BUGS
       tgz requires gzip in the user's path.  It also needs gnu tar or
something close
       due to use of --exclude, --totals and -S.
AUTHOR
       Filip Van Raemdonck (mechanix at debian.org) wrote this page for
the Debian/GNU
       mtools package.
SEE ALSO
       gzip(1), tar(1)
mtools 3.9.8                            May 2002
          TGZ(1)

cheers
zenaan