mtools

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sun Jun 14 17:30:23 UTC 2015

On 6/15/15, Ralf <unknown.crewman at rocketship.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 23:26:48 +1000
> Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> wrote:
>> On 6/14/15, Ralf <unknown.crewman at rocketship.com> wrote:
>> > by chance I noticed a file  /usr/bin/tgz  .
>> > In $HOME I run  $ tgz --help  and a file was generated named
>> > --help.tgz  .
>>
>> $ man tgz
>> TGZ(1)                            Mtools Users Manual
>>           TGZ(1)
>> NAME
>>        tgz - makes a gzip'd tar archive
>> SYNOPSIS
>>        tgz [ destination [ source ...  ] ]
>> DESCRIPTION
>>        Make a gzip'd tar archive with the name of the first parameter
>> out of specified
>>        files or, if no source files are specified, from everything in
>> the current
>>        directory.

The above paragraph is the explanation of why you're seeing what
you're seeing. "tgz" command has been written a bit posterior-brained.
It does not use normal options. So when you give it "--help" option,
"tgz" thinks that is the name of the tar+gzip file you are trying to
create.

The other things you see also appear to be explained by this man page.

> Thank you for the man page.
>
> I neither had one installed, nor did I found it in the Internet.
>
> It still doesn't explain the copy directories that were created and that
> were no tar.gz files.

Are you sure?

It looks like you ran the program a few times with different options,
thinking it was a normal program. But I might be mistaken - I didn't

Regards,
Zenaan