mtools

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Mon Jun 15 01:30:18 UTC 2015

On 6/15/15, Ralf <unknown.crewman at rocketship.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 03:30:23 +1000 Zenaan Harknesswrote:
>
>> The above paragraph is the explanation of why you're seeing what
>> you're seeing. "tgz" command has been written a bit posterior-brained.
>> It does not use normal options. So when you give it "--help" option,
>> "tgz" thinks that is the name of the tar+gzip file you are trying to
>> create.
>
> Sure and since it's a script we can see that "dest=$1".

Ah yeah. The fact it's a script makes it easier to figure out what's happening.

>> It looks like you ran the program a few times with different options
>
> No, IIRC I just run  tgz --help  and  man tgz  , maybe I run  tgz  too,

ok

> but an empty $1 would have caused an exit.

not according to my reading of the man page...

> case $dest in
> 	echo "Usage: $0: [destination [source...] ]" >&2

And the above line seems to match my understanding of the man page (if
no "filename" given, pipe the tgz file to stdout).

> 	exit 1
>
> Anyway, it's not important, nothing was damaged and I purged the package.

Sounds like whatever got dumped to stdout may have caused what you saw.

Regards,
Zenaan