[Daca-general] Can DACA be generalized? Information on other tools on website? Scope creep?

Drew Scott Daniels ddaniels at umalumni.mb.ca
Mon Dec 27 07:26:47 UTC 2010

Hi,
I think more information about other tools is needed on the DACA website.
I've seen comments about rats, splint and other tools though I haven't
heard what the plans are. I haven't yet seen any mention of trying -Wall
and even non-code tools like testing to see if pngcrunch or re-compressing
will save space. I recently saw a bug
<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=579851> showing some
packages don't compile using -Wall.

I'd also like to mention Gendarme for mono/.Net programs (ECMA CIL format
actually). These are usually .dll's or .exe's.
http://www.mono-project.com/Gendarme

Though compression/re-compression already stretches "code analysis" (in an
"editorial changes" way ;-), I wonder if there would be a way to use
findimagedups or some other ways of finding common files that would fit
into the DACA project. It seems like it would be too difficult even if it
did fit in the scope of DACA.

The scripts look nice enough, though I know bash can be a pain. It seems
as though the tool names could be generalized such that the tool name
could be a variable that runs the program and creates the appropriate
files and directories.

Thanks for crossing a few things off my old todo list:

Thanks,

     Drew Daniels
Resume: http://www.boxheap.net/ddaniels/resume.html
P.S.: Please CC me on replies.