[Dbconfig-common-devel] Re: pgsql issues (was Re: dbconfig-common Problems)

Andreas Tille tillea at rki.de
Fri Aug 5 19:39:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, sean finney wrote:

> yeah, this would be ideal.  however, can we actually do that?  i know in
> pg_hba.conf you can include a list of users/databases/etc from a file on
> a given line, but my understanding is that will result in a list of
> users who can connect to a list of databases, as opposed to a list of
> username/database pairs.
Hmmm, yes you are right here - my proposal is not really equivalent.
We would net a per package line for pg_hba.conf that contains package
related database-user configuration (which sounds not very reasonable
with the database-list approach.

> again, my familiarity with postgres is yet a bit lacking.  does
> anyone know how feasible it is to have both password and ident-based
> authentication enabled, and have one fail back to the other?  otherwise we
> might have to settle for lobbying martin to do something like local socket
> connections being ident based and remote connections being password based.
This would be a great thing anyway.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--