[Dbconfig-common-devel] Re: dbconfig-common Problems

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Wed Aug 17 16:48:36 UTC 2005

hey andreas,

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 04:25:05PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> So we have to face a case in which it is necessary to change PostgreSQL
> configuration
> to enable dbconfig-common to do its job.  My proposal is the following:
>
>   Q: Should dbconfig-common change PostgreSQL configuration and restart
>      the PostgreSQL server?
>
>   A: No.
>           -> Do nothing.
>      Yes.
>           -> Call
>           /usr/share/dbconfig-common/data/${pkgname}-pg_changeconfig.sh
>           {change,revert}
>           /etc/init.d/postgresql restart
>
> What do you think about this?

does each package really need to provide its own changeconfig script?
afaict, we'd simply need to add a line like

local	$dbc_dbname $dbc_dbuser	$dbc_authmethodsomething

for each package, where dbc_authmethodsomething would be "ident sameuser"
or "md5" or something along those lines.  we'd also need some code logic
to determine more accurately whether or not a given connection method
would require modification.

what would be *ideal* though would be for a pg_hba.conf.d directory
that worked like apache's conf.d directory.  i wonder how hard that
would be to do...

	sean