[Dbconfig-common-devel] Re: Best practice for allowing access to a postgres db

Martin Pitt mpitt at debian.org
Tue Sep 27 05:37:27 UTC 2005

Hi!

sean finney [2005-09-26  6:48 -0400]:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 11:03:33AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > >what should be entered into pg_hba.conf.  that way dbconfig-common
> > >could, in its debconf prompt, tell the admin what needed to be added,
> > >giving the admin a chance to do it himself/herself if preferred.
> >
> > What about the conf.d idea brouth up in the thread
> >
> >     PostgreSQL access rights handling
> >
> > of the dbconfig-common mailing list?
>
> honestly, i'm happy enough with the method suggested by martin, because
> it makes such an issue a moot point.  that is, postgres could later
> decide to move to such a method, or change the configuration method
> entirely, and then dbconfig-common will not need to be changed to
> reflect this.  if the tools ship in postgres packages maintained by
> martin, he'd be able to update the tools when the method is updated.

I fully agree. In addition, now that there are thousands of
installations out there which don't have something like "@include
pg_hba.d" in their pg_hba.conf, I have to fiddle with pg_hba.conf
anyway, so it does not make much of a difference. But Sean is right,
if I notice that it would help, I can always switch silently.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt              http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer   http://www.ubuntulinux.org