[Dbconfig-common-devel] Upgrade scripts

sean finney seanius at debian.org
Sun Apr 9 09:00:54 UTC 2006

hey cameron,

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 04:16:51PM -0700, Cameron Dale wrote:
> I'm not sure if I read it correctly, but this seems to suggest that I
> can't mix script and sql updates, as they will be applied in the wrong
> order. For example, if I use sql for the upgrade from 3->4, and a script
> for the upgrade from 4->5, then an upgrade from 3->5 would first apply
> the 4->5 script upgrade and then apply the 3->4 sql upgrade. Have I
> understood this correctly?

no, i don't think this is actually a problem.  you are correct that
the scripts vs. sql are applied in "unspecified" order for any
particular upgrade.  however, multiple versioned upgrades should
still be executed in order of the versions in question.  that is,
when upgrading 3->5 it should be something like:

- execute upgrade scripts/sql (in unspecified order) for 3->4
- execute upgrade scripts/sql (in unspecified order) for 4->5

granted i'm not looking at the source code right now, but this was
at least the intention of what *should* be done.  if this isn't
the case, please let me know and i'll see what i can do about
fixing it :)

	sean