[Dbconfig-common-devel] Why does dbconfig-common use a none exiting local user

sean finney seanius at debian.org
Thu Jan 19 11:55:20 UTC 2006

hey uwe,

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 11:46:53AM +0100, Uwe Steinmann wrote:
> The internal variable _dbc_asuser is set to 'yes' which leads
> to localuser being set to 'evita'. I couldn't find out why
> _dbc_asuser is set to 'yes' in the first place.

_dbc_asuser doesn't do exactly what you're thinking it does.  basically,
it's a way of telling dbc to connect with "user" credentials instead of
"admin" credentials.  it's used in two places, one to determine
the name of the user to send to the postgres database
(_dbc_psql_remote_username) and one to determine the name of
the local system account to use when running the code
(_dbc_psql_local_username).  the latter should only choose
something other than root if dbc_authmethod_user is set
to "ident" and a local connection is being made.

so, the suggestion i gave you before doesn't seem to work, but
i think that's because dbc doesn't support overriding that
variable after all.  i'll have to look a bit more into it
to figure out the best way of attacking this.

	sean