[Dbconfig-common-devel] Re: work-around may need some work

Ross Boylan ross at betterworld.us
Sat Jul 29 05:30:02 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 10:23:36PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> A few weeks ago I reported here my adventure upgrading
> bacula-director-pgsql from 1.36 to 1.38, with attendent changes in the
> format of the database that program uses.  The Debian bacula package
> uses dbconfig.  I answered "no" to a question that seemed to be asking
> if I wanted to make a new database (since I had one already).  This
> apparently disabled the use of dbconfig.
>
> I manually ran the script that dbconfig would have run for the upgrade
> and, after resolving some permission issues, things seemed to be OK.
>
> A newer version of the package appeared and I upgraded; it's still in
> the 1.38 family.  I got these errors:
> Setting up bacula-director-pgsql (1.38.11-1) ...
> dbconfig-common: writing config to /etc/dbconfig-common/bacula-director-pgsql.conf
> Replacing config file /etc/dbconfig-common/bacula-director-pgsql.conf with new version
> Processing configuration .../usr/share/bacula-director/postinst-common: line 18: /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf.dpkg-tmp: No such file or directory
> Ok.
> Stopping Bacula Director: bacula-dir.
> Starting Bacula Director: 28-Jul 21:34 bacula-dir:  Fatal error: Could not open Catalog "MyCatalog", database "bacula".
> 28-Jul 21:34 bacula-dir:  Fatal error: postgresql.c:168 Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server.
> Database=bacula User=bacula
> It is probably not running or your password is incorrect.
> 28-Jul 21:34 bacula-dir ERROR TERMINATION
> Please correct configuration file: /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf
> failed.
>
> One possible explanation is that my attempt to fix things up manually
> was not quite sufficient.  Other explanations are possible, and
> several may be true at once.  Note also I have a couple of different
> postgres instances and versions running, though at least until now
> this has not caused bacula any trouble.
>
> I would appreciate any thoughts, tips, or wisdom about what's going on
> and how to diagnose or fix things.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ross
Maybe this is a simple problem.  Postgres was being upgraded at the
same time, and had not been setup when this error happened.  I just
did this:
# invoke-rc.d bacula-director start
Starting Bacula Director: bacula-dir.

*If* that's all that's going on, my immediate problem is solved.  How
to make this work in general (i.e., package uses a database that is
being upgraded at same time) require more knowledge of debian
packaging than I have (maybe the package needs to pre-depends on the
database?).