[Dbconfig-common-devel] dbc_authmethod_user="password" problems

sean finney seanius at debian.org
Wed Sep 27 21:25:36 UTC 2006

hi finn,

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 14:33 -0400, Finn Smith wrote:
> I've been having trouble getting the package that I am building to
> request a password for the app user when using postgresql on an
> initial install. The config file in my debian dir is very simple. It
> looks like this:
>
> #!/bin/sh -e
>
> # source debconf library
> . /usr/share/debconf/confmodule
> # source dbconfig library
> . /usr/share/dbconfig-common/dpkg/config
> # what dbs do we support
> dbc_dbtypes="mysql, pgsql"
> # use password auth with postgresql
> dbc_authmethod_user="password"
> # run dbconfig-common
> dbc_go my-new-package $@
>
> db_go || true

first things first, you should take another look at the latest version
of the dbconfig-docs... recently it was brought to my attention that the
examples were non-compliant with policy.  not related to the specific
problem you're having, but something you should know anyway :)

> Yet, the password is not prompted for at higher debconf priority
> levels, and on dropping the debconf level to the point where a choice
> can be made between "ident" and "password" for the app user, "ident"
> is selected as the default. I spent a fair amount of time going
> through /usr/share/dbconfig-common/dpkg/config and
> /usr/share/dbconfig-common/dpkg/common and my conclusion is that the
> dbc_authmethod_user variable I set in my config is never used. The
> relevant code for an initial install seems to be this portion of
> /usr/share/dbconfig-common/dpkg/config:

yeah... the postgres authmethod stuff seems to constantly be a thorn in
my side.  can you:

- test against the latest dbc version, just in case?
- test with the db-test-pgsql package?
- post a source package that i can test against?

also:

- what version of postgres are you using?
- does your package create a system user with the same account name?

> I am using version 1.8.11 of dbconfig-common, but I checked in the
> latest version (1.8.23) and didn't see any substantive differences.

any reason you're using that version?  there have been a lot of bugfixes
since then--though i don't know that it directly affects this problem.

	sean