[Dbconfig-common-devel] Status of "editing pg_hba.conf"

sean finney seanius at debian.org
Thu Jan 25 10:45:42 CET 2007

hey andreas,

On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 21:06 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> which would make me very happy.  Unfortunately I do not see
> any hint that anything is implemented until now.
> At least I found a slight hint that something might be included
> at a i18n template translation list:
>
>    http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-l10n-german@lists.debian.org/msg04663.html
>
> This would be a clear sign for me that there is some chance to
> do a pg_hba.conf editing thingy.  But a grep in the docs and
> code of dbconfig-common did not show any occurance of pg_hba.conf.
>
> Could some kind soul enlighten me whether I'm just to stupid
> to find the right doc or whether the links I quoted above are
> a good plan in principle but no code exists so far?  I was
> a little bit absend last year and did not followed every
> direction in this field.

i think at the time the general agreement was that any pg_hba.conf
editing thingies would be in the domain of the postgres maintainer
(pitti).

*however*, i think at this point it's become more or less a moot issue,
because (iirc) the default postgres configuration allows password-based
authentication for connections on the loopback device, so applications
requiring passwords should "just work" on the local host (if they don't,
then there's a bug somewhere).  and for remote password-connections,
there's not much to be done there since it's beyond the scope of our
abilities to edit files on the remote host.

	sean