[Dbconfig-common-devel] cyphesis-cpp and dbconfig-common

sean finney seanius at debian.org
Sun Jul 26 19:13:01 UTC 2009

hi michael,

(adding dbconfig-devel to the cc list for posterity, hope you don't mind)

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 08:41:02PM +0200, Michael Koch wrote:
> I currently think about using dbconfig-common in cyphesis-cpp. The program
> needs a postgresql server with a user and a database created. All the tables
> and content are created by a specific client delivered with the server. So
> the data dont need to be filled by dbconfig-common.
>
> Is it possible to ask the user for the access data and create the user and
> database if needed?

i *think* so.  i would suspect that if you just don't provide the install
file in the data directory it won't try to put anything into the database
and should still do the basic user/database setup.

it might be that dbc will try to outsmart itself and notice it doesn't
have anything to do, but if that's the case you ought to be able to
load a sql file with some kind of benign no-op command in it ("SELECT
'hello there' or something).  but i'm not sure that this is the case so
it might just work out of the box if you don't give it anything to do.

if the setup script that ships with the server is automated you can also
give that to dbconfig-common as well, just FYI.

	sean