[Dbconfig-common-devel] dbconfig-common pressed question

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Mon Apr 18 07:44:04 UTC 2011

Hi Anthony,

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 04:56:00PM -0400, Anthony L. Awtrey wrote:
> I've got two last issues that I hope someone can help me with. When I
> set both the dbc_authmethod_admin and dbc_authmethod_user to "ident" in
> the config script, I still get a debconf pop-up for template item
> dbconfig-common/db/app-user even though passwords aren't being used.
> I've looked at the code, but I can't tell how to set or preseed a value
> to suppress it.

hrm... not sure on this one.  it may be that it's hard-coded to ask
for it, because it wants a user either way (either the system account
used with ident, or the database account with password).  Can you try
setting it to the name of the system account that you're using with
ident?

> Finally, after I purge the package and then reinstall during testing, I
> get a notification that the template file has local modifications. Of
> course it was previously removed when I purged the package, but dbconfig
> continues to report the file as "modified". Is there something I can set
> or delete to suppress this?

I think this might be because the ucf information wasn't purged.  Try
something like what's suggested in 3.2.1:

     if [ "$1" = "purge" ]; then
		rm -f yourconfigfile
		if which ucf >/dev/null 2>&1; then
			ucf --purge yourconfigfile
		fi
	 fi

In hindsight I wish this was something I had just done in dbconfig-common,
but had my doubts at the time I wrote it, and now I'm a bit afraid to do
it since it would probably break any package running the postrm in "set -e"
mode.

	sean