[Dctrl-tools-devel] String freeze schedule?

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho antti-juhani at kaijanaho.fi
Wed Dec 7 09:32:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 07:31:31PM -0400, David Prévot wrote:
> Antti-Juhani, I would be please to send a call for translation update
> (around 10 days) before the next upload, can you please keep me updated
> about the next timeline, and when you believe no more change would be
> done in the English strings of the program (and manual pages)?

My usual practice has been to declare a string freeze about two months before
the announced Debian freeze, and to solicit translations at that time.  But I
have been recently reminded that Debian's policy (and good common sense given
that Ubuntu and others release in a different schedule) is to keep testing (and
hence unstable, as far as possible) in a releasable state at all times, and
this might suggest a different strategy: get 2.20.x into a releasable state
(including translations) now, and do any new coding work in experimental,
perhaps pushing a later release (with translations) to unstable before Debian's
freeze.  Of course, a third option is to get translations up to date for every
upload to unstable, but I didn't want to bother translators that much.

Any thoughts?

--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, Jyväskylä, Finland
http://antti-juhani.kaijanaho.fi/newblog/