[Deb-scipy-devel] 2 questions about numpy (ubuntu, Atlas)

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Jul 10 12:48:10 UTC 2006

Hi there,

    A recent convert to numpy/scipy, and a user of ubuntu and debian, I
am interested in the development of debian and ubuntu packages of
numpy/scipy and related packages.
    I have two questions:

    - first, why the conflict with atlas ? I am building my numpy/scipy
packages with atlas without any problems, and I thought that atlas3
would give the best with respect to speed ?
    - I hope this is appropriate, but I was wondering about the work for
ubuntu. Reading the archive, it looks like there would be a new policy
for python on debian, and this new policy won't be available in dapper
(python-all is only available in edgy, the development version of
ubuntu). I did a dirty hack, that is taking the last available numpy
debian using the old policy, and adaptating it for ubuntu (it works,
though, building + import numpy, numpy.test() succeeding). What would be
the best method for Ubuntu (if questions regarding ubuntu are not
appropriate, please telle me).

    Thanks for the hard work anyway !

    David