[Deb-scipy-devel] Re: NumPy / SciPy packages

Jose Fonseca j_r_fonseca at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 13 07:12:09 UTC 2006

Hi Alex, Ed,

On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 17:54 +0200, Alexandre Fayolle wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 02:46:46PM +0200, Ed Schofield wrote:
> > Hi guys and girls,
> >
> > I'd like to offer to help with packaging NumPy for Debian.  [...]

> Hi Ed,
>
> It is true that these package are a bit lagging behind, and it is partly
> my fault since I have not been very active lately -- way too much work
> in $DAYJOB, and my activity as DD has suffered a lot from this.
>
> I should be able to work on the scipy/numpy packages next week, and your
> help is welcome. You way want to join the deb-scipy-devel list, which has not
> been very active lately but is a nice channel to discuss packaging issues.
> Subscription information is available at
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/deb-scipy-devel
>
> Cheers

I did one experimental repackaging of scipy for numpy and the changes
were reasonably straightforward.

Marco Presi did the numpy packaging, and it seemed more tricky to
package. Some questions were left open, such as if and how f2py and
development headers (*.h, *.c) should be splitted.

But it the end, I believe it's mostly a question of the parties
interested deciding when to upgrade from scipy/numeric to scipy/numpy in
Debian. I'm not using scipy at the moment so I don't feel the incentive
to push this upgrade, however I'll gladly lend a hand (as I'm sure I'll
use it again in the future).

José Fonseca