[Deb-scipy-devel] Re: NumPy / SciPy packages

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Sat Jun 17 23:43:05 UTC 2006

Marco Presi wrote:
>  || On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:42:09 +0200
>  || Ed Schofield <schofield at ftw.at> wrote:
>
> 	es> Thanks for your replies.  Since my original post Andrew Straw has
> 	es> announced that he's set up a repository (at http://sefton.astraw.com/
> 	es> ubuntu/dapper) with .deb packages for numpy 0.9.8.  I suggest we look
> 	es> over his packages and try to merge the best ideas into the debian
> 	es> experimental packages.
>
>         I will take a look at it, but I am not able to do it before next
>         week due to some deadline I have at my work.

Let me be the first to admit that the packages I put online don't
attempt to follow Debian policy with regard to installing separate -doc
packages and so on, I was simply trying to get an updated numpy Debian
package out there, as the version in experimental didn't even build for
me with the new numpy upstream release and I was unable to fix it
easily. I haven't investigated further why I couldn't get your build
system operational.

I would say that the more productive thing in the long run is simply to
work on getting your build system working with the latest versions of
numpy and scipy -- your build system will presumably actually follow
Debian guidelines.

Cheers!
Andrew