[Deb-scipy-devel] New numpy release

Edward Schofield schofield at ftw.at
Tue Sep 12 11:30:26 UTC 2006

Marco Presi wrote:
>   Hi Ed,
>
> 	es> I suggest a dependency on libufsparse | libumfpack4.
>
>         Is there a reason for this? The umfpack version contained in
>         ufsparse is newer than the one contained in libumfpack4.
>
>         libumfpack4 conflicts with a number of other programs (like
>         OO.org).
>
>         ..and "libufsparse | libumfpack4" makes a bit more difficult for
>         debian packaging (but if course I will find a solution if it is
>         needed).

Hi Marco,

Well, libumfpack4 is more specific than libufsparse, which also includes
unrelated libraries. I was thinking it would be preferable to allow
users the choice to avoid unnecessary bloat.

But, actually, SciPy doesn't depend on either of them! SciPy can make
use of UMFPack if it's available, but it's not necessary in order to
compile it or use most of the functionality, even its sparse matrix
package. I think the scipy package should merely suggest libufsparse.
Same with swig.

-- Ed