[Deb-scipy-devel] Re: python-f2py and scipy_distutils

Jose Fonseca j_r_fonseca at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 26 22:52:09 UTC 2006

Hamish,

I'm very sorry for the delay replying. I've been very busy (recently
moved into a new country) and somehow I missed your email.

On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 18:30 +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> Hi Jose,
>
> I've uploaded a new package called wsjt which uses python-f2py to build.
> It built OK on all platforms except sparc, which failed because
> scipy_distutils.system_info was not found for import. The error is
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/f2py", line 4, in ?
>     f2py2e.main()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/f2py2e/f2py2e.py", line 677, in main
>     run_compile()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/f2py2e/f2py2e.py", line 605, in run_compile
>     from scipy_distutils.system_info import get_info
> ImportError: No module named scipy_distutils.system_info
>
> and the whole f2py command is below.
>
> Do you know what might cause this? Is it a bug in python-scipy-core?

The python-scipy-core package for sparc is incomplete, see size for
sparc in http://packages.debian.org/testing/python/python-scipy-core .

And build failed, see:

http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?&pkg=python-scipy-core&ver=0.3.2-7&arch=sparc&file=log

But from the above build log, it seems the bug is not in
python-scipy-core, but some other python-related dependency in sparc.
The first strange line is:

--------
Setting up python2.4-minimal (2.4.3-7) ...
--------

Perhaps a new rebuild of python-scipy-core will solve the issue. I don't
understand why the failed empty package was uploaded anyway to the
archives anyway...

At any rate, wsjt is not at fault here.

Regards,

José Fonseca