[Internal] Re: Infrastructure for meta-distribution projects

Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo jsogo@debian.org
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 16:06:20 +0200

--+B+y8wtTXqdUj1xM

  [Going on with the mass-CC]

El d=EDa 04 jun 2003, Andreas Tille escrib=EDa:
> On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Ben Armstrong wrote:
>=20
> > To elaborate: I considered building all junior-* packages from a single
> > source, but instead opted to build them individually from a minimal pac=
kage
> > template.  This allows me to de-couple the release cycle for each meta
> > package from each other.  You may wish to get the latest
> > "junior-programming" but not bother with the latest "junior-arcade" for
> > example.
> I also prefer independent metapackages.
>=20
> > The approach is imperfect, though, because the templating is not automa=
ted.
> > I simply copy an existing meta package and hand-edit to create a new on=
e, so
> > if I ever need to fix my template, I need to go back and modify every s=
ingle
> > package.  This is tedious.  I'd love to redo it with a common package t=
hat
> > generates individual minimal meta packages (maybe with something like
> > equivs).  The tool should allow me to maintain lists of dependencies and
> > changelogs for each individual meta package all in one place.  It should
> > also allow me to generate a new version of a single meta package without
> > rebuilding all of the others, or automatically bump up the version# and=
 add
> > the same changelog entry to all meta packages if I make a global change.
> Very interesting.  I'd like to see your solution ...

 This is cool. And how about adding some way to also being able to put
 in those metapackages configurations for those packages being
 installed?

 I'm thinking in projects like Debian-desktop and such, which can need
 a way to configure some packages to fit their needs. Or a Live-CD=20
 O:-)

--=20
  Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
     jsogo@debian.org