debian package browser

Erich Schubert erich@debian.org
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:18:21 +0100

Herv=E9 Eychenne wrote:
> http://debian.vitavonni.de/packagebrowser/?tags=3Ddaemon%2Cnetcomm%2Cse=
curity
> why don't we have "Intrusion Detection System" shown in "Automatic
> Subgroups", for example?

Because there are too few matches.
The package browser applies a set of rules to form subgroups.
We have two goals:
- provide a hierarchy allowing you to narrow down your search quickly
- provide a hierarchy which isn't too broad

If we would build all possible subgroups you would end up with way too
many of them. Think of the subgroups as Yes-No questions, with the goal
that you must say Yes and No about equally often (with the next
questions being recalculated after each Yes)

On the given web page, the subgroup "Authentication" contains 11
packages or so. That brought the remaining packages count down to 9,
which is okay for displaying directly on the webpage without forming
additional groups. If there were like 5 more packages fitting into
"IDS" a new automatic subgroup would appear.

> Another thing: why don't you provide a way to search for a package
> name directly (in the start page)?

Because it's just a quick perl hack right now. ;-)
The package browser needs to be rewritten properly. ;-)

Greetings,
Erich Schubert
--=20
   erich@(vitavonni.de|debian.org)    --    GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
    Go away or i'll replace you with a very small shell script.     //\
      "Wissen ist Macht" - wenn man das richtige daraus macht.      V_/_