debian package browser

Erich Schubert erich@debian.org
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:46:48 +0100

Hi,

> And why not?

unneccessary depth of navigation IMHO.

> > It's often easier to check a list of 10 packages than checking 5
> > subgroups for 2 packages each.
>=20
> That's not my point of view.

Well, but that is the design principle of the web frontend.

> > The package browser aims for people not knowing that.

> And what are they supposed to be looking for, then?

"i need something for email", and then be guided the way by the given
subgroups.

> Tagging is far more superior to a silly string matching.

> When I'm looking for an IDS, I want to choose several tags, which
> finally give me the one I want : "Intrusion Detection System", and get
> presented a list of _all_ the packages that deal with intrusion detecti=
on,
> and maybe some more "subcategories" which enable me to refine my search=
> little more (dameon, library, etc,....)

You can do that, but there is no navigation path for that _special_
small tag in the UI.

http://debian.vitavonni.de/packagebrowser/?tags=3Dsecurity::ids

But if you want to provide a navigation path to every tag it gets
unuseable. "Link overload" kind of. Most people are confused by too many
choices and too many links.

> That is clearly the best way of doing things, in my opinion.

I tried building all subgroups, and it annoyed me. I had to click a
dozen times more to see the same data. That is why i decided to do it
the other way.

Greetings,
Erich Schubert
--=20
   erich@(vitavonni.de|debian.org)    --    GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
       The best things in life are free: Friendship and Love.       //\
          Die St=C3=A4rke eines Menschen kann man daran messen,          =
V_/_
              wie er mit seinen Schw=C3=A4chen fertig wird!