Hiding facets

Enrico Zini zinie@cs.unibo.it
Sat, 3 Jul 2004 10:58:59 +0200

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7

Hello,

=66rom a user interface point of view, the more I think of it, the more I
like the idea of hiding facets on a per-user basis.

Hiding facets, besides making the facet list more manageable, would be
like expressing the user's horizon of interests, and allowing him to do
searches and even tagging while moving in a known and interesting world,
unencumbered by less relevant issues.

A complete tagging, in this sense, won't be performed by a single user,
but by the combination of users with different interests.  With the
potential of having different people with different areas of expertise
take care of tagging what they understand better from their point of
view.

Also, Custom Debians could pre-set hidden facets for their users based
on the target they have set for themselves.

Packages which only are tagged with hidden tags (implying a partition of
the tag space) could appear under a "Other" cathegory which then
ramifies with the hidden facets and tags, thus preserving the complete
package list and using an intuitive meaning of the "Other" (that is
usually regarded as "less interesting") classification.

Ciao,

Enrico

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7--