"Tag your packages" feedback

Gunnar Wolf gwolf at gwolf.cx
Sun Jul 17 08:56:03 UTC 2005

Enrico Zini dijo [Mon, May 10, 2004 at 09:57:57PM -0300]:
> (big snip)
>  - Also, have you considered extracting tag information from xdg menu
>    (.desktop) files [1] in binary packages?  This system also seems to
>    have a very similar concept of categories, which could probably be
>    mapped to your tagging system -- this would get a large number of
>    packages (probably all KDE and GNOME apps) into your system and save
>    developers significant duplicated effort.
>
> I hadn't considered this yet, but it makes sense.  We could try a menu::
> facet/namespace with the xdg menu tags inside, automatically maintained.
>
> Autogenerated facets could be an interesting technical addition to the
> system.  Also, Fabbione (fabbione at debian.org) is routinely assessing
> ipv6 compatibility on packages and that could be another automatic tag
> source.

Autogenerated tags could also be somehow automatically added following
the naming of the packages - We have many consistent naming
policies. Names like lib.*perl, python(\d.*)-.*, lib.*ruby(\d.*)?,
php([34])?-.* etc. give us enough information for the 'implemented-in'
facets. Package called '-dev' all belong in 'software development',
etc. And although I am probably re-stating the obvious, this can
probably be extrapolated to other prefixes/suffixes or even to other
fields in the control file (i.e., by looking at the dependencies you
can probably guess what does the package use, what is it implemented
in, even the UI it has).

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf at gwolf.cx - (+52-55)5630-9700 ext. 1366