[Debburn-devel] Re: GPLed DVD support for cdrtools

Warly warly at mandriva.com
Mon Aug 21 10:06:41 UTC 2006

Eduard Bloch <edi at gmx.de> writes:

> Hello guys,
>
> I am contacting you for two reasons.
>
> First, to let you know about the Debian's cdrtools fork and to invite you
> to the development, at least to subscribe to the mailing list you see in
> the Cc, via http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/debburn-devel
> or see project homepage at https://alioth.debian.org/projects/debburn/ .
> The project is hosted by Debian but should not be limited to our distro,
> I imagine the final product to be available with a neutral name without
> extravagant branding (aka credits spam).

Nice!

> Second, you are apparently the two most active developers of free DVD
> patches. I think your experience will be highly appreciated. Currently
> we have to choose how DVD support should be implemented. I played with
> warly's patch in spring, adapted to version a07 and it worked quite
> well. Robert's patch seems to be well maintained as well.
>
> Could one of you (or both) summarize the pro/contra issues of the
> particular implementations?

The main drawback of my patch is that it is highly influenced by
cdrecord mainstream changes, (although lately the update to newer
versions was quite ok).

My known bugs are:
- a lot of error message when formatting DVD+RW (but the format works
correctly)
- some doubts about the correctness of the DVD±R DL code (but it seems
to work though)
- Unsupported blue-ray (but I do not have any burner to develop on,
however for my reminding of mmc5, the suport must not be very hard to add)

I will be happy to contribute to a more openminded project different
from cdrecord, we can still start with cdrecord, though.

--
Warly