[Debburn-devel] Is cleartext planned with wodim -atip fields "Current:", "Profile:" ?

scdbackup at gmx.net scdbackup at gmx.net
Fri Dec 8 12:23:39 CET 2006

Hi,

wodim and genisoimage work well for my backup tool with CD media.

But with DVD media there is a problem with detecting the type
of the currently loaded disc.
The only hint which i can spot in the output of  wodim -v -atip
is the MMC code of the current profile.
Like:
  Current: 0x001A

cdrecord (>=2.01.01a9, or old -ProDVD) reports:
  Current: DVD+RW
  book type:       DVD+RW, Version (9.2)

Because the cleartext with "Current:" is a relatively new feature,
my tool interprets "book type:" for now. (Don't ask me how to obtain
that. The "Current:" info probably stems from SCSI command 46h.)

My tool could incorporate info from the translation table 89 of
  http://www.t10.org/ftp/t10/drafts/mmc5/mmc5r03c.pdf
but possibly you decide that actually such a translation is rather
a job for wodim than for the frontend.

So my question to you is:
Will "Current:" and "Profile:" stay with hex codes like 0x001A ?

If not: Can you give me an outlook when this change will happen ?

Feel free to copy or exploit function  mmc_obtain_profile_name() in
  http://libburnia.pykix.org/browser/libburn/trunk/libburn/mmc.c?format=txt
I hope to have correctly hand-copied the codes defined in MMC-5.
(The nature of the function makes clear that i cannot claim any
intellectual property rights for it, even if i wanted.)

Anything else about DVD[+-]RW seems to work fine for me.

Is there a possibility to write to DVD tracks of unknown
length ? (Like with CD : cat file | wodim dev=... -tao -)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas