[Debburn-devel] Suggestions

Christian Fromme kaner at strace.org
Wed Sep 6 17:10:53 UTC 2006

Hello List,

As some of you already suggested, soon after the release of -pre4, a
-devel-branch should be made for general hacking and breaking. :-)

Here is a small pool of ideas we should consider for the TODO-list after
the branch:

    - Change old-style function definitions to ANSI-style function
    definitions

    - Remove unnecessary Makros (like EXPORT in cdrecord.c and others)
    and/or replace them if needed with better ones

    - Code formatting: For my eyes, some parts of the code are hardly
    readable because of the formatting style JS used [example:
    'for(acpos=0;acpos<argc;acpos++)' from cdrecord.c]

    - Maybe a sort of a styleguide would help for orientation how the
    code should be formattted in the future (we already had a small
    discussion about this on the list[0]) -- not to religiously enforce
    stupid rules, but for orientation. I would happily volunteer to
    write such a coding-style file if we want it.

    - Replace libschily as far as possible with standard-lib functions.
    Best case would be to remove it completly.

    - Split up the tarball into several smaller one. This seems quite
    invasive, but makes a lot of sense and has already been suggested by
    many others

    - Rename cdrecord/ to wodim/ and cdrecord/cdrecord.{h,c} to
    wodim/wodim.{h,c}

    - ...

This is just a small list of items I can think of right now, comments,
flames and other ideas welcome!

Best wishes,
Christian

[0]