[Debburn-devel] Replacement of "cdrecord"

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 17:14:04 UTC 2006

On 9/23/06, Christian Fromme <kaner at strace.org> wrote:
> On 23.09. 16:40, Kai Wb. wrote:
> >
> > I've read the here the mailinglist and the TODO file in the repository.
> > One point is to change the name of the directory "cdrecord" to "wodim".
> > I'm currently working on that and have some questions:
> > 1. Is anybody else doing this (then we should merge our work or one
> > should stop (to save time).
>
> No, not that I know of.

I think that the name change was a serious error.

Suppose I forked the "ps" command. Well I did in fact,
almost a decade ago. Suppose I changed the name of
the command to "rypa". Would that break any scripts
you might have? Might it prevent your system from
shutting down cleanly? I hope you see the problem.
The cdrecord wrappers are numerous and fragile, but
the even bigger problem is scripts in people's home
directories and build systems.

How about the XFree86 fork? Would it be OK if they
renamed "xterm" to "jaque", "X" to "Q", "startx" to
"queen", and "xrdb" to "vontalogue"?

Changing the package name to cdrkit is OK, but not
at all required. I didn't change the name of procps.
I only changed the version from 2.x.x to 3.x.x when I
did the fork.

Fix:
sed -i s/wodim/cdrecord/g `find . -type f`

> > 2. When I'm up to renaming a directory and fixing the includes I would
> > suggest not only to change the name of the directory but also change the
> > name of the files cdrecord.[h|c]. I think it would make sense. Or is
> > there anything that stands against it? (apart from the work).
>
> Go ahead! :) But please use the cleanup/ branch for this. Thanks

So that becomes the main branch. The normal default
becomes dead and useless with time, but you can't
just merge back because there will never be a good
point in time when you can say that NOBODY will
ever again want to patch the non-cleanup code.

Seriously, I've seen this happen. (with a team of 50
people working on a commercial real-time OS in the
ClearCase revision control system) It totally sucked.
This is not a good path to be going down.

Please just make a branch for the OTHER stuff and
leave mainline development on the mainline.