[Debburn-devel] Replacement of "cdrecord"

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 22:44:18 UTC 2006

On 9/24/06, Christian Fromme <kaner at strace.org> wrote:
> On 23.09. 21:14, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> > On 9/23/06, Christian Fromme <kaner at strace.org> wrote:

> > >IIRC people will get commit access after submitting enough reasonable
> > >good patches. Handing commit rights out to everybody is a problem,
> > >especially on alioth. As you said, at the moment there is noone in
> > >desperate need of commit access IMHO, so I don't see a big problem.
> >
> > Especially on alioth? Why? In any case, that can be fixed.
>
> Please read[0].

Are you suggesting that alioth does not distinguish between projects?
Otherwise, I don't see how alioth is any different from SourceForge.

> > >Albert, I can understand why you are a little bit annoyed because of
> > >your patches. I am sure they are already being considered but the
> > >discussion with JS is still going on at the moment, so you have to be
> > >patient I guess.
> >
> > I'll assume you mean a private discussion.
>
> Yes, sort of. At the moment it is not clear wether or not the code we
> are using is clean GPL or "SchillingGPL". In the latter case applying
> your patches can be a problem. IANAL, but this has to be cleared up.

It never will be clear unless there is a lawsuit.

Heck, YOU could start a lawsuit. If you have reason be believe
that Joerg#1 may sue you and this interferes with you doing your
business, you might be able to get a judge to declare whether
or not you can remove the crud.

If you don't feel like a lawsuit, you'll just have to make a decision.
You can be conservative or not, with or without lawyers, etc.

I don't think Joerg#1 matters at this point, unless you somehow
believe you could get him to sign something for you.

> Again, I hope you aren't too annoyed about things and we will be able to
> move past this soon.

We'll see. For future reference, don't ever announce a project
until the legal issues are satisfactory and don't ever make an
announcement that welcomes developers unless you mean it.