[Debburn-devel] SuSE 10.2 - Wodim Error messages w/Adaptec 2940 (27xxx driver)

Eduard Bloch edi at gmx.de
Mon Apr 23 19:23:31 UTC 2007

#include <hallo.h>
* Bruce McFarland [Thu, Feb 22 2007, 05:54:20PM]:
> I have posted this following to the SuSE forums, but no one seems to
> know anything about the problem. Then I remembered the kernel thread I
> saw a while ago about CDRecord being forked, and saw this email address
> after a Wodim prompt. So, if this is the correct place to report Wodim
> errors & problems, here's a problem  that has existed in SuSE since 10.0
> or before...
>
> ***********************
> Tyan MB, Adaptec 2100S Raid controller for U320 Mirror/boot drive,
> Adaptec 2940 Ultra (27xxx driver) with two 18GB SCSI disks, 1 Plextor
> Ultraplex 32x SCSI reader, 1 Plextor 12/4/32 SCSI burner. This SCSI
> hardware combo has worked FINE since pre SuSE 8.0 days...
> Surprised
> With SuSE 10.0, and now with 10.2 (and probably 10.1 but I didn't bother

SuSE 8.x vs. 10.x? Excuse me, your problem looks more like a weird
kernel error introduced in kernel 2.6.

> with it...) , when sending data to the Plextor burner, I get the
> following error messages in /var/log/messages, *hundreds and hundreds of
> them*. After enough of these messages the hardware burps, the CD drive
> get really confused, and a reboot is required ( Hmmm, is this Winblows ?).
>
> Confused Confused
> This problem, AFAICR, was something between SuSE & Jorge Schilling, SuSE
> claimed Jorge did strange things for no reason, & Jorge replied with his
> usual 'you screwed it up, you sir are an idiot'. The 'fork' of CDRecord

The usual treatment. Joerg did some strange things for no reason but I
am not sure whether they are the real cause for your problem.

> seems to have happened because CDRECORD is now just a link to something
> called 'wodim'. This takeover (whoops, fork) was supposed to resolve
> this problem. ????? Is this coding SNAFU on somebodies' radar ? Not
> meaning to sound whiney but this has been a problem since at least 10.0
> & it's not been resolved ...
> Mad Mad
>
> Feb 18 20:41:05 homebox kernel: printk: 35 messages suppressed.
> Feb 18 20:41:05 homebox kernel: sg_write: data in/out 30576/30576 bytes
> for SCSI command 0xd8--guessing data in;

Those are the kernel messages. Fine. Where is the wodim program output?
Please create some with -vvv -VVV and make that available somewhere on
the net. Don't send them uncompressed to this list!

Eduard.
--
Naja, Garbage Collector eben. Holt den Müll sogar vom Himmel.
       (Heise Trollforum über Java in der Flugzeugsteuerung)