[Debburn-devel] cdrkit-1.1.6: wodim gets DVD+R max. writing speed wrong

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Wed Aug 15 20:34:06 UTC 2007

Hi,

> I tried driveropts=forcespeed but it didn't help.

Somebody will have to dive into the code and make
it aware that MMC-3 has had already two successors.

I could offer you to try cdrskin - in case you need
compatibilty to cdrecord options (and in the hope
it will work as good as growisofs).

> When I run growisofs without -speed it starts at 8x and successively
> accelerates up to 18x. I hope this answers your question.

That's what is usual - but not what your drive
promises by "03/" in
  Speed Descriptor#1: 03/2295104 R at 16.0x1385=22160KB/s W at 16.0x1385=22160KB/s

Now already the hardware is spreading marketing lies. :))

My own drives all report "00/" which means that the
speed is not guaranteed and that a mix of read and
write is not allowed. (See first byte of descriptor in
MMC-5 , 6.8.3.5 Write Speed (Type=03h))

Have a nice day :)

Thomas