[Debburn-devel] Error DVD Brenner

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Fri Aug 24 06:39:08 UTC 2007

Hi,

> Vendor_info    : 'TSSTcorp'
> Identifikation : 'CD/DVDW SH-S183A'
> Supported modes:
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: Drive does not support TAO recording.

An empty list of supported modes is caused by
repeated failed attempts to send mode page 05h
to the drive.
Those various attempts shall try wether the drive
supports certain CD write mode settings. Not a single
one of them succeeded.

This mailing list knows the effect from LG GSA-H30N
(unresolved, i fear).
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debburn-devel/2007-February/000301.html

This thread about problems with growisofs could apply
  http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2007/04/msg00033.html
growisofs was unable to send the mode page 05h for DVD-R
to a SH-S183A.
The fact that cdrecord announces SAO capability might be
a hardcoded guess for DVD.

It ended with this message
  http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2007/04/msg00069.html
Could be bad news for your wallet: the submitter bought
another SATA controller which brought a miracle cure.

The GSA-H30N examination stalled at the conclusion that
the command to set the mode page fails with the complaint
that the page has wrong length.

me in http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2007/07/msg00027.html
> Any mode page 05h sent via 55h MODE SELCT causes an
> error reply with Sense Key 5 ASC 1A ASCQ 00.
> That's "PARAMETER LIST LENGTH ERROR".
> tested with Page Length 0x32 and 0x36 as MMC-5
> would allow a 4 byte vendor specific add-on.

We could resume the endeavour at that stage if you are
willing to do experiments.
(I would have to resume my thoughts and ideas first.
This issue is smoldering since months.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas