[Debburn-devel] Errors with K3B

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Wed Aug 29 08:42:24 UTC 2007

Hi,

Bart Claasen:
> > The problem is that k3b says
> > that cdrecord no permissions has to open the device.
> > /usr/bin/wodim: Permission denied. Cannot open '/tmp/k3bWOVnEb.dat'.
> > /usr/bin/wodim: Cannot use '/tmp/k3bWOVnEb.dat' as CD-Text file.
> > /usr/bin/wodim -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/hdb speed=40 -dao
> >  driveropts=burnfree textfile=/tmp/k3bWOVnEb.dat -eject -useinfo -audio

Julian Calaby:
> The fact that you cannot create a file in /tmp is kind of unusual.

Reading man wodim i get the impression that option
textfile= shall _read_ that file and not create it.

As a creator of such a file there is given wodim
itself with its options -vv -toc.
But i understand "wodim: Cannot use '/tmp/k3bWOVnEb.dat'"
as a complaint about failed reading.
The command reported by k3b is a write command and no
-toc reading command.

Questions:

Is that /tmp/-file present when k3b reports the error
and waits for user reaction ? (Does it wait ?)
The name will to vary from run to run, i guess.
Output of ls -l would be interesting.

What do you get from this ?
  ls -l /usr/bin/wodim

Is there a way in k3b to disable "CD-Text" ?
MMC-5, 3.2.4 : "CD-Text - A method for storing text
information in the lead-in and data areas of a CD-DA
disc is named CD-Text."
So that's the official name.

man wodim recommends to read the Red Book. After
anybody is done with reading, would it be possible to
pass it to me ? (Pity it is proprietary. Again, my
Philips screen is smirking at me. Impudent slave !)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas