[Debburn-devel] Issue when burning a DVD : DVD vs DMA speed

Olivier Médoc o_medoc at yahoo.fr
Tue Feb 27 14:36:53 CET 2007

>> Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if device
>> communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.
>> Drive DMA Speed: 14497 kB/s 82x CD 10x DVD
>> Current Secsize: 2048
>>   ATIP start of lead in:  -150 (00:00/00)
>>  DMA modes:  mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
>>  UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2
>>  AdvancedPM=no
>>  Drive conforms to: Unspecified:  ATA/ATAPI-2 ATA/ATAPI-3 ATA/ATAPI-4 ATA/ATAPI-5
>
>A-Ha. The DMA speed check says that your hardware sucks and can only
>transfer reliably for max. speed of 10x. Why do you try to be more
>clever and force 16x?

Hum, I didn't know at first that my DMA was so slow. I searched quite a long time to find it.
The issue is that no software (gui, growisofs, mkisofs, kernel)  emmited a warning or limited the speed. It's basically a feature request, but I don't know who should be responsible to warn or limit the burn speed.

>This is not a hardware or kernel related mailing list. Ask on those
>places.
Sorry I wasn't sure that it was a kernel or hardware issue. And I didn't really know were to start. Thanks for your advices, I'll try to change the DVD controller. What should be approximatively the practical DMA speed in udma2 ?

http://fr.answers.yahoo.com